Below are my speaker slides for last week's Share Your Honey conference with Vlerick and InSites.
In short, there is one really bad reason to invest time, resources and money in social media:
- Technology, or "stepping into the geek trap". Unless your name is Wired Magazine, don't do the effort only because you think it's cool
- To reflect your brand and its values in all of your social media assets
- To drive traffic to your website & build a bigger audience
- As a platform for Relationship Marketing
- For sales and lead generation (aka conversion)
In his most recent presentation, "The Conversation Manager" author Steven Van Belleghem sees a paradox in the way companies talk and behave:
* Companies think word-of-mouth is important, but they don’t manage it
* Every customer is important, but giving them good service is seen as a cost
* Every client is important, but 1000 clients on Facebook are not relevant
As companies continue to experiment with social media measurement, some are reveling the data, while others question if it's worth the investment. Watch as a handful of brand marketers discuss what tools they are using and how useful social media measurement is to them.