- Stay on target: Study your target. How hard is it to read his/her stuff before you pitch?
- Don’t Nag: 90% of the phonecalls I get are people asking if I got the press release they emailed. Yes, I got it. Did I read it? Maybe. Do I care? You’d know already. Oh, wait. Here’s something new and even more annoying: A phone call from a PR person telling me she will be emailing me a press release later. Argh! Just send it!
- Anything you say… Remember…Anything you say…can be used against you. Or for you. Assume that your phone call, email, IM, or Twitter message is on the record. We sure do. Want to be off the record or anonymous? Agree to it beforehand.
- Three Degrees of Lame Lesson: If you’re going to ship a presentation in a clever package, the message should fit the medium.
- Circle Jerks: Don’t blast a ton of people with the same crap. Pick and choose your media targets, and write personal notes to them.
- The Only Rule: Ryan Block said it best: “Pro PR Tips can always be summed up as: Do your homework and be courteous.”