From The visual web @ slideshare.net:
A noticeable trend this year is beautiful apps or websites. Its all part of a larger trend that Im calling The Visual Web, meaning that images and video are becoming an increasingly important part of what we consume online.
(Richard McManus, Read Write Web)
From the (excellent) Social Media ProBook:
Flickr: The popular photo and video sharing site launched out of Vancouver in 2004. Acquired by Yahoo! just one year later, Flickr grew into an online home for more than 51 million users and 5 billion images. But as Facebook and mobile photo services like Twitpic and Yfrog add options to the photo-sharing market, Flickr has seen a decline in their audience over the past two years. The site is far from dead, however, as accounts like The Official White House Photostream continue to drive traffic to Flickr. In some ways, it’s returned to the purest version of itself – that is, a hub for photography enthusiasts. It never became the corporate marketing “outpost” some originally imagined.
A rather unexpected way to explore Flickr is the notorious Flickr Panda.
- Most Effective Post Type: Across all brands and represented business verticals, image posts are more engaging as measured by fan responses, likes and shares than video or text. There are variations by vertical that will be expanded on further, namely Quick Serve Restaurants versus Consumer Packaged Goods.
- Post Effectiveness by Time of Day: A clear indication of variability in engagement by vertical is the differences between the entire data set and a single vertical like QSR. Posts made before noon get 65% more engagement than posts after noon across all fans served, versus QSR that experiences 12% more engagement for posts made in the afternoon.
- Post Effectiveness by Day of Week: The post effectiveness varies considerably by industry vertical, but when all fan data was viewed in the aggregate, Friday posts generate the most engagement while Saturday and Sunday posts have the least engagement.
- Anatomy of a Facebook Post: Vitrue’s Data Behind Effective Social Media Marketing @ vitrue.com/blog
- The Vitrue Update: Facebook Post Effectiveness Study @ youtube.com