In The Conversity Model I don't really recommend a Facebook Page if your only objective is to drive traffic to your website. Things change, however, if you use Like Buttons and other Social Plugins on your website.
A recent study by Pew Research Center’s Project for Excellence in Journalism investigated several traffic drivers online for news sites. Pew’s report also states that finding news is no longer important in this digital age - sharing the news is: “Google and Facebook are increasingly set up as competitors (for) sorting through the material on the Web."
A few other highlights from the report:
- 30% traffic originates from Google organic search
- 3% traffic come from Facebook through Like Buttons and links posted by users
- In comparison to Facebook, Twitter seems to make little or no effect
- 77% percent of the referral traffic comes in the form of casual users , who visit these sites not more than twice a month
- Facebook An Important Source Of Traffic For News Sites: Pew Internet @ watblog.com
- Where people Go, How They Get There and What Lures Them Away @ journalism.org